Gold standard research, gathered internationally over many years, has clearly shown that the crucial areas for reading instruction are phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, comprehension and fluency. Research has also shown that the best route to reading success is through explicit, sequential teaching –from simple to complex-in each area.
If students are unable to decode words, they cannot comprehend what they read.
Teaching students proven decoding strategies provides them with a strong basis to ensure reading success. Once children have developed their phonemic skills and phonic knowledge and the blending of sounds to read words, then comprehension can follow.
Children need appealing stories to practise their newly learnt skills and the Pocket Rockets are just the thing!
There are 44 imaginative stories to engage your child with humorous characters and quirky plots. They have been written specifically around the progressive learning of the sounds. Your child can successfully use their emerging phonic skills to read, comprehend and enjoy these fun stories.
The Pocket Rockets:
- follow a sequential build -up of knowledge and skills
- are funny stories that appeal to young children
- are well suited to young attention spans
- develop vocabulary and comprehension
- improve fluency
- inspire stimulating discussions on a variety of themes
- promote confidence and feelings of success
- foster a life-long love of reading!